When a World is Calling...





  There have been multiple (MULTIPLE) times, where I'll be chatting with a friend or siblings, and all of a sudden, I'll gasp (it's more like a continuously drawn in breath, and I sound like a dying duck) and I start to stare off into the distance. Most people I know now understand what's happening when I do that, and they all have pretty much the same reaction: 'Not again...'

  This is my inspiration face (embarrassing as it is...) I often get a character idea, or a story idea, and then they all begin to spin in my head and that's all I can focus on. I just can't wait to get home or get to some paper to start jotting down my scribbles. My favorite part of creating a story, is creating the world, especially if it's a fantasy. :D

  I get sucked into this world that's all my own, yet not my own, and I lovingly put each, exciting little piece into place. It's so much fun, too! ;D

  I do, however, have a tendency to catch the World Building disease. Nasty little disease if you're really trying to get to the actual 'writing' part of your book. -_- Allow me to explain if you do not know what this is. I learned about this phrase from Jill Williamson, a writer who I reaaalllly look up to. :D She was saying in a blog post that the World Building disease is where you focus on creating your world so much and putting all the detail in it, that you completely forget to write the book itself..... *guilty look*.

   I guess where I'm going with all of this, is that's currently where I am with my novel The Emerald Goblet. I've been having so much fun learning about the proper titles for different ranks of loyalty, how to serve a seven course meal, how to properly set a formal table setting, I've been learning about different countries, and the list goes on. I love the research part of writing. I don't do it all the time, but when I do it, I absolutely love it. And because I've been enjoying this part of the world building, I haven't worked on my novel as much as I should have. Along with working on a second book, and editing a shorter book I just finished. AND, to top all that off, a friend of mine and I are going to co-author a book together... am I crazy or what??? O_O

   But I really love it all. I love that God gave me this gift. There's really not very much I can do. I can't own a whole lot of animals because I'm allergic, I can't go do a lot of hard core sports because I don't have two full lungs (yup. weird random fact about me), so a lot of running makes me cough. So, God decided to make me special, along with others in the world, and gave me a gift of creating other worlds. It's almost a magical talent. To be able to bring other people and places to life. I just love it without end. :)

   So, what's your world building like?



   
            So many places where we can go in our minds....



Comments

  1. Why didn't I know that you don't have two full lungs? Jess... what else have you not told me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um... I thought I told you that.... oh my darling, there's so much you don't know about me. ;D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts