Making a Place to Come Back to

 

  
 Everyone needs one of those books that just draws them back into its comforting embrace. I just recently found mine.
At Home in Mitford is book one in the Mitford series. I love this book. It took me a while to get through it, but what I loved about it, was that there was no, "ohmagosh, what's gonna happen next? Is the main character going to die in the battle? Will he and his true love never be with each other?!" It was a calm, peaceful book, but still with excitement. It's a book where I can sit down with a sigh and a cup of tea, and lose myself in the gentle world of Mitford. 

And also, it seems like they always eat really good food in these books. ;P 

But in all, it's a relaxing, sweet, yet exciting book, and it made me start thinking about how it draws you back into it. I jumped into the second book without hesitation, but without the fervent need to know what happened next. 

Writing a book that continuously draws your reader back in, might be tricky, but I know that I would like to try writing a calmer book one of these days. 

(What I am about to say, is just my own thinking, so if you have experience in things like this, please leave a comment so others can know.) :) 

So, what I imagine it takes for writing a calmer, drawing the reader in kind of book, your characters need to be well thought out, and lovable. Like Timothy, in the Mitford series. Give your characters a personality totally different from your other characters. 
Give them things they don't like, or can't do, and then give another character who is a friend of the first character, a totally opposite personality. Making that one person who your MC butts heads with, will always draw your story along, but then by giving maybe one other character, or a character of the first two, a more calming personality, balances the others out, and they find a way to get along. 

Another reason why Mitford was so relaxing, was the town. I love this town. While other people want to jump into the books of Divergent, (sometimes) Hunger Games (;P), The Fault in Our Stars, Percy Jackson, The Maze Runner, Keeper of the Lost Cities, and many others, I want desperately to jump into Mitford. I want to go find the town of Mitford, and live there for the rest of my life. :D *blissful sigh* 

So, because I have no real experience on writing a calmer sort of book, I shall have to keep this blog post short. But, I would highly recommend diving into this world. I just found out as I wrote this post, that there are more books than three in the series! Happy days! XD 

Have a great weekend! :)

Keep writing!


Comments

Popular Posts