My Experience as A First Time Indie Publisher






   Now that I'm a self published author, I understand a lot of different things that people have advised for self publishing, or just publishing through an agent.

   This is my story of what I did when I published Evidence for Angels, and what I wish I had done.

   When I was still in the writing process, I'd heard lot's about book launching parties, beta readers, marketing, getting an audience, e.t., but I never gave it much thought. My idea was 'oh yeah, I'll finish writing it, edit it a couple times, then publish it. No biggie.' Gee whiz!

   I now really wish I'd had beta readers, that I had marketed more, and correctly, and that I had gotten more involved with more writing communities. 

   I have had to go back to revise my book three times now, because I didn't do my research and learn what pages other than my story I needed to create. Title page, copyright page, table of contents, and acknowledgments. Even as I'm writing this post, I'm remembering things I forgot to add. (Drat...)

   For marketing, I really only did two or three things. I am a member of a writing website called Write the World, and I posted some chapters from my first draft of Evidence for Angels there. I didn't start getting feedback till I was in about the teen chapter numbers of the book, but all the feedback I got was super helpful. So, I was able to introduce an earlier version of my book to other people that way. 

   The second (very small) thing I did to announce my book, was I wrote on a slip of paper at my first writing conference, that my book was being edited to and soon to be published. 

  And while these things can be great, my advice to you is, do it properly. I can have a shy streak, so I didn't talk to many people at the conference. No one knew who I was, what I wrote, I don't think that anyone knew that I was the one publishing Evidence for Angels as it was announced through the other writing news. 

   So, what am I learning about marketing, and what do I plan to do about it?



   Starting a blog or website is a good place to start. Introduce yourself, tell your story, how you started writing, introduce a big project of yours, post updates on that specific project. Maybe post about what you've been learning as you write, also. But most importantly, be real. 


   One of the things that will discourage me, is when I read blog posts from other authors, and I feel like they're so good, and they know what they're doing. While it's great to be professional, being real is something that new writers appreciate. (I know it's something I appreciate.) But, it also depends on what you want to do.

   Well, now that I've rabbit trailed, back to the original post. ;D 

   So, starting a blog or website is a good idea. 

 

   Going to writing conferences and actually talking to people is a great thing! Maybe during the lunch break, find a group of people you don't know, and ask if you can sit with them. Since you're at a writing conference, the question 'what do you like to write?' is bound to come up. 








 Pinterest, of course, is a great tool. If you create a blog or website, putting your post on Pinterest is a great way to get it out into the world. I've posted two book covers of mine so far, and my blog posts. :) 

   





Instagram. Social media is a huge thing in this day and age. I don't have an Instagram, bu other authors that I know of have Instagram, and I'm going to assume that it's really great to have, both for life, and promoting your book. 

   




Facebook. I don't have a facebook account wither, but my mom is willing to do a post about my book on her account, which I'm super thankful for. :) 

   






 
 Friends are an incredible way to market your book, and get reviews and ratings. Telling your friends about your book is a really good idea, and then, if they are willing to read it, asking them to do honest reviews about it can begin the process of catching peoples eye, getting them to read it themselves, and then, hopefully, do a review also. Good or bad. 

   






   One other thing, (I don't remember if I made this up, or if I saw it from someone else,) is, you can pick a neat quote or your favorite quote, from your WIP, and you can create a graphic with the quote. I think where I got this, was from Jaye L. Knight's Instagram. She posted a quote graphic from her latest WIP, and I really loved the idea 'cause not only is it pretty (if you make it as such) but it really snagged my attention, and I wanted to know more. 
   You can probably, easily do this on Canva, (or that might just be my thinking, because I use Canva a lot) or whatever other program you have.



   If you'd like to view my Pinterest page, it's actually just one board, because I'm on my moms account, but you're certainly welcome to take a look at my stuff. :) 



   And also, here's a list that I created for marketing ideas, (either for before or after publishing) that I am certainly going to try or look into. :) 


   Keep writing! 



Comments

Popular Posts