Marketing? Pfft. Why do I need to do that???

 


   I said these words once... and I really regret them. My idea of self-publishing was that I would write my book, edit it, publish it, and everything would be great! .....

   *banging head on keyboard*

   No. Please, just... don't.

   I'm still learning about the whole world of marketing, and what little I have been doing, is so much better than doing nothing.

   Something to start doing, is just talk about your book! Tell your friends about it, tell your family, even if you don't think they might be interested, don't let their disinterest dampen the love of your story, and what you're doing. They won't get upset with you if you keep talking about it, I'm sure. ;)

   If you have social media, EXCELLENT! Maybe create another Instagram account specifically for your writing. If you have a cover created, post that a lot along with just different little facts about your book, maybe updates how the writing process is going. One of my favorite things to do is create quote graphics from your book. Find a colored or a pretty background that's similar to your story or the quote at that moment. Put your words over it with a good looking font, and make sure to add the name of your book and your name down below, so that people start to recognize your book, and your name!

   Here are a few of my own:





   Blogging is a good idea also. I do my best on here, but life often calls me away and I get busy with other things. Just writing about what you're learning about as you go through this journey can help other people learn things, and you can look back and (sometimes) be amused at what you used to think about writing, and see your little transformations as you grow! 

   So, social media, blogging, newsletters, word of mouth, always talk about your writing! Tell people about your project and get them excited for your story. They'll be sure to get it once it's out and for sale, then they might tell their friends, and the word of mouth will continue. Maybe once it's published, put in a request for your public library to get it on their shelves, and someone might pick it up, or someone who might want to read it but don't want to buy it might pick it up off the shelf. 

   So, my advice: talk, talk, talk. Talk about your book. Get word out about it, and don't be ashamed of it. :D 



Keep writing!


Comments

Popular Posts